Cue Saturday flea market with my best friend Paige. She’s an avid thrifter like myself and on the rare occasion we get to thrift together you know one of us is coming home with something that is sure to make someone’s eyes roll. This particular day I wasn’t “looking” for anything. This gem literally walked itself out into the parking lot and jumped into the back of my car. Nevermind the fact that it had been used as a cat scratching post and more than likely a rats nest (only 3rd party confirmed use was a toy chest for a 4 year old…I have my doubts). It was mine for $50. I don’t have a before picture (it’s fine, it probably looked better (from FAR away) before anyway). For some reason during this season of my life I thought the only answer to covering up cat tracks was with thick PURPLE paint? Whatever.
Anyways, the purple beast took her spin around our old house in a few rooms…never quite fitting in. It wasn’t until we moved I realized this puppy was the perfect size to fit against our new bathroom wall. Naturally the day we moved in I had decided it would be a sink. A double vanity sink in all its glory. Blake was supportive, per the usual. We are both “numbers” people I suppose but Blake is the only one trusted with measuring and cutting so he broke the ice. Cutting through that wood would have made me cringe if it hadn’t been purple. I look at the purple as a pre curser to this dream. Without that purple paint making it not such a fine piece of furniture I might not have had the courage to cut two GIANT holes into the top. Blake carefully measured and traced the shape of our sinks onto the top and then drilled a pilot hole. Using that as a starting point he used a jig saw to cut around following the line he drew.
Meanwhile, I had pulled all the drawers out and started priming so that this piece could have a more “mature” look. I actually used spray paint to prime because the drawers had some raised edges and details and I didn’t want paint puddling up in the corners. Once I had primed I painted the whole dresser a rich cream color.
The hardware on this beauty was NOT CUTE. Brass made by the dinosaurs basically. I think I’m a dying breed of brass lovers (the not shiny kind). Really it’s only me and my Dad that think it has a distinguished, charming look. Anyways. Of course I tried to make it that non shiny brass I love by drowning the hardware in barkeepers friend and rubbing with steel wool. Eww. Eww. Things looked worse. Like what’s yellow and brown and mold all over? Chemically abused brass. Moving on… I picked up a can of rustoleum “oil rubbed bronze” spray paint and now this hardware looks brand new!
We cut two small rectangles into the back for the pipes to run through. The top 3 drawers had to be removed so the fronts were cut off and just screwed back into place for looks. We coated the top in polyurethane to protect from the water park that gets created when guests try and wash their face like they’re the star of a neutrogena commerical. We still have TONS of bathroom storage.
Here it is not so naked looking in the bathroom we will post about soon on here!
Total cost for this project was $117 for the buffet, spray paint, and two sinks. We worked on this for a while over several days because we had to let coats of paint dry.